The computer controlled laser cutter is fast becoming an easily-accessible entry point to digital manufacturing for makers, crafters and designers. The laser is ideal for anyone who is looking for innovative ways to add value to their existing pieces or to make elaborate products to sell. Materials such as wood, perspex and papers are easily cut and engraved to achieve the designers’ creations.
This one day course is an ideal opportunity to try your hand at illustration, design and laser cutting, expand your portfolio for either further education or professional reasons, or to help develop a personal design and illustration style. It is also ideal for teachers and technicians who might be new to the technology and are looking for ideas to take back to the classroom.
During this course you will:
- Get an introduction to the laser machine and see examples of innovative laser cut pieces.
- Explore the design process and the technical aspects of laser cutting.
- Work with the free open-source professional computer drawing program Inkscape to create your project and input your work to the laser cutter.
- Complete two short projects to cut and engrave something yourself with the laser. You can bring your own designs and materials or work with those provided.
What will you get?
- You will make some small pieces during the course and these will be available to take away.
- Complete notes will be provided so that you can continue with your own projects after the course.
- Completion of the course will entitle you to use the Laser cutter in WeCreate at a reduced rate in the future.
No formal qualifications are required, as long as you can use a computer mouse and have basic computer skills, you can operate the laser!
Please bring your own laptop to the course, if you do not have one please let us know and we can arrange access to a computer on the day. All examples and materials are provided but if you have your own drawings, images and materials these may be used for the laser engraving/ cutting section of the day. You might want to bring a USB stick for easy transfer of files between the computer and laser cutter.
Inkscape the free, open source drawing program is available to download at www.inkscape.org. We can install it for you to use afterwards. If you want to use other software packages, such as Corel Draw and Adobe Illustrator, you can do so. This course utilises Inkscape although much of the learning can be applied to other software packages.
Book your place for this course by clicking on the payment button below…
If you wish to book and pay using another method click here… https://wecreate.ie/contact-us/
The course is available to ages 16+ and the group size is limited to six places to allow for individual attention and time on the laser.
Next Course: Saturday 25th April, 2020
Times: 11.00 am – 4.30 pm
Full cost €90. Tea/Coffee provided.
Concessionary rates available please enquire as to eligibility.